Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Interview with Arthur Blessitt

An Interview with Arthur Blessitt
Minister of Sunset Strip,
and Owen Cooper
Covering some experiences the Reverend Arthur Blessitt has had
during his 1972 summer visit to England,-Northern Ireland, Scotland, and France
Music by Joey Gentry
Produced and recorded by Goodhope Sound Studios
Yazoo City, MS
1972

Rite numbers 30125/6

Arthur Blessitt in Scotland

Arthur Blessitt: A world traveler, world record holder, and a follower of Jesus Christ has accomplished the following with the help of God and the love he has for all the people of the world.
  • Walked around the world since Christmas Day, December 25, 1969 carrying a 12 foot cross for Jesus.
  • Now 38,102 miles (61,319 k.m.).
  • 315 countries, Island Groups and Territories.
  • Walked on all seven Continents including Antarctica.
  • Been through 52 countries at war.
  • Arrested or jailed 24 times (Not for Crimes)
  • Listed in the Guinness World Records for the 'World's longest walk'.
  • Arthur says, "I Love God, I love people, I try to keep it simple".
  • Of the journey he says, "Jesus did it, I give Him all the glory".
  • He has traveled constantly with his wife, Denise, since their marriage in 1990.
Above information is from the official website of Arthur Blessitt. You'll find there fascinating facts and figures.
and relations of his journeys around the globe. Here is an excerpt of his journey in Paris :

Paris: The Arc de Triomphe stood in splendor in front of me at one end of the famed Champs Elysee. I was carrying the cross in France. Some ministers in Paris had come out on the highway and invited me to preach. They called the news media and planned to have a few friends meet me at the Arc de Triomphe. They gave me the date and time I was to meet them there.

I expected only a few people, but upon arrival, there were thousands of people and music was playing. I thought it must be the Salvation Army brass band. Every follower of Jesus in Paris had come to greet us.

Napoleon had begun building this memorial and now it was to be used for a Jesus rally. I was excited! We had difficulty getting through the crowd until we found a pass under the street. I pulled the cross by my side, as the underpass was too low to keep the cross on my shoulder.

As I started up the stairs to the Arc people crowded the way, but moved as they saw the cross. Up we went and then I saw soldiers in a long line from the street to the Arc de Triomphe. As I pressed near, the soldiers saw me and let me pass.

At this point I knew something must be wrong. A beautiful red carpet covered the stones and the soldiers were standing with guns at attention. Crowds of people were pressed together in excitement. My motto is, “If ever in doubt, do it!'

I stepped out on the red carpet. What a sight! A big cross, a man on the red carpet with soldiers in bright-colored uniforms. I smiled and raised my hand in the one-way Jesus sign, then called to the crowd, "Jesus t'amie! Jesus loves you!"

Photographers and television cameramen were crowding around to record the event. Then, as I arrived under the archway, plainclothesmen grabbed me, pinning me to the stone wall. People were yelling as though it was an assassination attempt. It was quite a disturbance.

"What are you doing!" a man demanded in his French accented English.

"I'm carrying the cross around the world."

"Well, where are you coming from with that thing?"

"California," I replied. "Is this the Jesus Rally?"

"The what?"

"Is this the Jesus Rally?"

"No! It's a memorial service for the Unknown Soldier and President Pompedieu is due here any moment."

They finally turned around and put me back in the underpass. Later the pastors found me.

"Oh, we are so sorry, we gave you the wrong day."

For days after people were coming up to me and saying, "Oh, we saw you at the Arc de Triomphe." "You were in the news!"



.

No comments:

Post a Comment