Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bulldog Charlie : Gettin' Religion

Rev. C. L. Wireman
LP Bulldog Charlie Getting Religion
Rite numbers : 28861/2

Spoken Word
The life story of a converted Kentucky mountain outlaw



I was born in Wolfe County, Ky., on the unlucky day (13) of the windy month, March, 1890, the beginning of the "Gay Nineties." The place of my birth was about eighteen miles, as the crow flies, from where our Zion's Hill Mission is now located in "bloody Breathitt" County, Ky.

A number of my relatives were shot down and died with their boots on. My parents were typical mountaineers and of course I was a typical mountain boy, and a boy will the "teen" age in that part in those days was looked upon as a sissy if he did not own and carry a pistol. We mountain boys cared nothing for Washington or Lincoln, or men of like character; we admired bad men, and the one who had the most notches in his pistol handle, denoting the number of men he had made bite the dust, was our hero and the man, in our ignorance, we longed to be like. I had three cousins killed in cold blood and that feud spirit entered my heart when a small boy, until I fairly hated any one who bore the name of those murderers. The "bottle" was passed to old and young alike, and I was a confirmed drunkard at an early age. I suffered hell on earth with delirium tremens for four days at a time while yet in my teens. My left shoulder is lower than my right yet, caused by a heavy pistol on it in a strap holster as I grew up.
(...)

More reading HERE

You can also listen the Bulldog Charlie preach at Classic Holiness Sermons, HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment