Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Preludes feat. Lou Martucci

The Preludes feat. Lou Martucci

17447 ~ On My Lovin (sample)
17446 ~ Would You Believe

Little Nashville LN-0781
1610 Poinsettia Rd., Charleston, S.C.

1965

Lou Martucci


Update [Nov. 27, 2009] : I contacted Lou who kindly answered to my questions :
I was the lead singer, and I also wrote the flip side, 'Would You Believe'. The record was produced in Nashville in 1965 by Dino Productions. I sang lead, and Joe Opatsky played lead guitar, Al Knox played rhythmn guitar, Butch Chevalier played bass, and Al Moreno was our drummer. Although we were signed by London Records, they never recieved the tapes from Dino (Carl Friend). It turns out Carl became a scam artist in those years and didn't promote anyone he recorded, although he charged all of the bands $1,000. each for 'promotion'. We ended up releasing the record on our manager's (Roger Hopkins) independent label Little Nashville based in Charleston, S.C. Roger wrote 'On My Lovin' and Boyd Cobb was his partner who handled the publishing. They weren't members of the band. In recent years I've been recording cd's in my home studio which I post on a couple of internet karaoke sites. We lost our drummer, Al Moreno, in Viet Nam. Roger Hopkins died in a tragic car accident in the late 60's. Al Knox and Joe Opatsky are both living good lives with thier families. I retired from live performing in the early 90's.

Lou Martucci

3 comments:

  1. I am the proud daughter of Roger Hopkins. I am so proud to see that my father's talents are being recognized in this way after so many years have passed! Gina Hopkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 11-12-2018 and I have come across this site after searching information for Lou Martucci. In 1969 I was with a group of friends who would go to a local establishment in North Charleston South Carolina called the purple tree. It was where I met my son's father, who has since passed. But for 40 7 years I have had a lyric in my head of a song that Lou and the band sang. Having become somewhat of a Google Addict, I Googled the lyric and to my surprise found that it was a Ray Price song. The song title is Going Away. The lyric in the song that has stuck with me for all these years is I will send for you to live with me. For so long I thought that I had made this lyric up in my head. How blessed I feel that I have been able to locate that song and to be able to remember that Lou and the band sang it. There were great times to be had at the purple tree. But meeting my son's dad and remembering all the good times that we had dancing bring me lots of joy. Spooky was one of our favorites. I don't know if Lou is still with us. But I wanted to reach out into the universe to let someone know how much joy he brought to be in our group of friends in 1969 in a little bar in North Charleston South Carolina. Should anyone want to reply my email address is jerrysteinbronn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the band based in Charleston, or just the label?

    ReplyDelete